Just like the late arrival of the British Spring this year, we’re a little late in publishing our first blog post of the year. We’ve been getting on with business while taking on a number of new clients. This in turn has involved us spending alot of time cleaning up much neglected PCs. Here is some of our favourite tools from the team that you can use on your computers at home.
Darren favourite – CCleaner
CCleaner is a fantastic program. It has a range of tools for all levels of users. Using the cleaner or the registry cleaner takes just a few clicks but can make a big difference to the slowest computers. If you are feeling a bit brave you can also stop some of the computers start-up items. CCleaner is very quick to use and considering what it can do for you is definitely worth it.
- Run the cleaner
- Run the registry three times
- Under Tools remove any programs you don’t use from Uninstall
- Again under Tools disable (if your not sure) from
- Reboot and repeat steps 1 and 2
Greg favourite – Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes the easy way to remove nasty viruses from your computer…
- Installation takes 30 sec.
- One click to do a scan, no fancy settings or mess around
- Reasonable scan time, average finish time 5 minutes
- One click to remove bad malware
- Intuitive design, you can leave user “unattended” just point him to malwarebytes
- Great detection of viruses
- Reasonable priced for the business version
- Gregs favourite, go and buy the full edition!
David favourite – Old Skool Windows tools
You can clean up your computer using tools already built into Windows
- Removing programs you no longer user under Control Panel > All Programs
- Disable programs from starting Run > Msconfig > Start up (Be careful)
- Right click on your C drive > Properties > Disk Clean-up > tick the boxes and run it
- Install Microsoft Security Essentials if you don’t have Antivirus software
Jamie new favourite – Toolbar madness
I’ve recently noticed a influx of toolbars that install themselves into Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox. I’m pretty sure these toolbars redirect you to websites that contain viruses and other bad stuff. Use Toolbar Cleaner and AdwCleaner to remove these toolbars. You just don’t need these toolbars as all modern web browsers provide all features you need.